I’ve heard a lot of people say that Little Bay (Xiaowan in Chinese) is the nicest beach in all of Taiwan. Considering how many beaches and bays this island has, it is quite a claim. But I have to admit that I don’t disagree – it really is a wonderful place!
Table of Contents
Where is this Little Bay?
Little Bay is just a few hundred meters south of Kenting Village, where the night market street is. It is facing the Taiwan Strait (southwest), so it doesn’t get crazy strong winds like other beaches along the East Coast.
What’s so cool about Xiaowan?
The list of reasons why Xiaowan is such a nice place is quite long, but here are my own personal reasons why I love it:
- It’s relatively quiet when compared to Nanwan (South Bay), and Baisha (White Sand Beach), especially during weekdays.
- It’s clean – I’ve actually never seen floating plastic trash there, and the sand is raked regularly by the Caesar Park Hotel staff.
- It has a proper, nice bar where cold beer and cocktails are served all day long. The bar has a big wooden patio area with tables and chairs where you can lounge away the day under the tropical sun – or an umbrella if you’re not into tanning.
- It’s idyllic – the view is beautiful all around – 360 degrees! From the beach, all you see is water on one side, and tropical, lush forest and mountains on the other. You can’t see the road or hear traffic from Little Bay.
- Alex Reggae Bar is just across the street (cold beer, cocktails, street BBQ, lively vibe til late in the night)
- Coffee lovers will like this one… Starbucks is also nearby!
Eating near Little Bay – Beer / BBQ
My favorite street BBQ in Kenting is right across the road from the beach. Walk up the stairs, cross the road, turn left toward Kenting, and follow the reggae music! Look for a round sign that says Alex’s Reggae Bar.
Alex (the owner) is the master griller in town and that’s the only place where I eat my barbecued beef, chicken, pork… His lovely girlfriend (wife?) serves cold draft beer from a booze truck right there nearby, next to the road where you can sit and enjoy carnival atmosphere. If you’re in the area, you simply CANNOT not go to Alex’s Reggae Bar!
Walking distance to 2 of the most popular hotels in Kenting
Over the years, I’ve received quite a few emails from visitors who can’t decide where to base themselves in Kenting. A lot of people want it all: easy access to the beach, walking distance to restaurants and bars, quietness, and some even require a sort of romantic setting. Well, the only 2 places that tick all of those boxes are:
The posh Caesar Park Hotel (5-star) is just across the road, like 1 minute walk away. The Caesar is by far one of the top accommodations in all of Kenting National Park. Tons of reviews on booking sites mention easy access to Little Bay beach as one of the highlights of a stay there.
Another major reason why people love to stay at the Caesar Park Hotel is the proximity to Kenting Street, which turns into a bustling night market every day after sunset. The street is just 5 minutes away on foot, and you’ll pass a couple of booze-trucks along the way. These turned-into-mini-bars vans offer cold beer, shots, and cocktails. It’s a great way to begin the night!
If you’re one of those who’s looking for a romantic place to stay in Kenting for a first date, wedding, or honeymoon, look no further – the Caesar is where you wanna stay!
You can check room rates and availability for the Caesar Park Hotel here!
The Howard Beach Resort (also 5-star) is just a tiny bit further, 2 minutes walk from the beach. I’ve stayed there a couple of times and enjoyed it a lot. It’s not as nice or luxurious as the Caesar Park, but it’s cheaper. It’s one of the most affordable 5-star hotels in Kenting.
The Howard Hotel is very popular with families. The resort has tons of facilities for kids such as jungle gyms, swimming pools with mini slides, and even a large indoor playroom.
The rooms are a little outdated decoration-wise and you can tell that some of the furniture has been there for a bit too long and need replacement. But overall, for the price and the unbeatable location nearby Little Bay beach, it’s totally worth it to stay here.
Getting to Little Bay / Transportation
- From anywhere in Kenting Village, you can easily walk to Little Bay, just head south toward the Southern Tip of Taiwan, and it will be the first beach on your right.
- Scooter time to Little Bay from Nanwan (10 minutes), Hengchun (20 minutes), Sail Rock (7 minutes), Eluanbi (15 minutes), Longpan (20 minutes), Jialeshui (35 minutes), Manzhou Village (40 minutes).
- By Car, it’s about the same time as by scooter. You can park your vehicle anywhere on the main road where there is no red line.
- You can take a local bus 9188A from Hengchun main bus station. From Nanwan, buses #101, 101B, 101, 9117 will take you to Little Bay.