What’s the best area to stay in Taipei City? There is simply no clear-cut answer to that, but if I can give you my own personal favorite area to stay in Taipei, it’s definitely the neighborhood around Zhongxiao Dunhua MRT station.
Reasons why you’ll like Zhongxiao Dunhua MRT station area:
- it’s right downtown in the middle of Taipei City, it doesn’t get more central then this
- lots of attractions to reach on foot
- highest concentration of restaurants, bars, cafes in Taipei
- huge selection of mid-range hotels
- on the blue MRT line, which gives you access to the main neighborhoods of Taipei
- shopping opportunities for all tastes and budgets, small boutiques, big malls, international brands
- a good mix of old and new
- lots of small back alleys to explore on foot
Green World Hotel
One of our favorite hotels in this area is the Green World Hotel. It’s right next to Zhongxiao Dunhua MRT station, so when we don’t feel like walking too much it’s just great! One more thing I love about this hotel is that they have some rooms that face Zhongxiao East Road. The view is quite something at night with all the traffic and bright neon signs. Don’t worry, the windows are totally soundproof and the curtains block the light completely.
Reasons why you may not like Zhongxiao Dunhua:
- There’s a LOT of people here! Taipei is one of the most densely populated city on earth, and the area around Zhongxiao Dunhua MRT station shows that statistic clearly.
- It’s not the greenest part of Taipei. Apart from the gardens around the Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall, there’s not that many parks.
Best Area to Stay in Taipei for Backpackers / Low-Budget Travelers
If you’re traveling on a budget, then maybe this area is not the best for you. Why not? Because most hotels around here are in the mid-range bracket. If you’re a backpacker who would prefer to stay in a cheap hostel, or you’re ok to sleep in a dorm, then Ximending might be better for you.
Ximending is also a really cool neighborhood in Taipei, as it’s packed with small shops, budget restaurants, and a bustling night market area that stays alive deep into the night. It’s quite close to Taipei Main Station, so it’s also convenient to reach other parts of town.
You might also like…