Home: Taiwan Visa

Taiwan Visa

Do You Really Need A Visa To Taiwan?

One thing that's as important as getting your visa for Taiwan is to have a reservation for a hotel for your first night in the country. Check hotel deals here.

Visa-Free 30-Day, or 90-Day Permit

taiwan visa exempted permitI have some very good Taiwan visa news for you...

Citizens of the following countries can enter the island without a Taiwan visa:

90-Day visa-exempt permit:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, U.K. , and Vatican City State

30-Day visa-exempt permit:
Australia, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, U.S.A.

This is by far the easiest, cheapest, and fastest way to enter the island. The custom officials in Taipei are quite easygoing and will give it to you without asking any questions.

Click here for more info on requirements and a complete list of countries eligible for the Taiwan visa-exempt permit.

You can also read about Taiwan Visa Requirements.

60-Day Visitor Visa

If the above Taiwan visa good news isn't that good for you, or if you are planning on staying in Taiwan for more than 30 days, then the 60-day Taiwan visitor visa is what you need.

The visitor visa is perfect if you plan to study Chinese, engage in business, or tour the island extensively. It's easier to apply for this visa at one of the Taiwanese consulates in your home country.

This Taiwan visa grants you much more flexibility than the 30-day visa-free permit mentioned above. It can be extended twice for a maximum of 180 days. Some overseas missions (Taiwanese consulates) will even give you a one, three, or five years multiple-entry visitor visa for Taiwan.

Click here to learn more about this visa.

... and click here to get even more information about the
multiple-entry, extendable visitor visa to Taiwan.

Resident Visa Taiwan - ARC

The ARC is that one permit that can really make your life in Taiwan much easier if you plan on staying here for the long haul. To get that resident permit, you will have to either find a company that will sponsor you to work for them, study at a university, or get married.

Having the resident visa in Taiwan means you can:

  • rent your own apartment, or house,
  • legally buy a scooter or a car and put it in your name,
  • have a Taiwanese driver's license,
  • have medical insurance,
  • stay in Taiwan indefinitely.

Taiwan Visa - 30-Day Landing Visa

The landing visa is available for:

  • Holders of US Passport with less than 6 months validity,
  • Holders of Hungary, Poland, Slovakia passport with more than 6 months validity

The landing visa is very similar to the visa-exempt permit mentioned above. The main differences are: who can apply for it, and the cost - this one is not free. You can pick up your landing visa at Taoyuan International Airport (C.K.S.) or at Kaohsiung International Airport.

Need cheap plane tickets to Taiwan?
Contact my travel agent and ask for a quote now!

Working Holiday Visa To Taiwan

Lucky you if you are from Australia or New Zealand! The working holiday visa has a one year validity and allows you to work for up to 3 months with each employer. I've never actually met anyone with this type of visa but hey... I thought I'd give you some info about it anyway.

Taiwan Visa - Overstaying

If you overstay a Taiwan visa for even a few hours, you'll have to pay a fine and it will be harder for you to travel to Taiwan in the future if not impossible.

Over the years, I've heard the craziest stories. I've met some guys who had already been overstaying up to 10 years. 10 years!!!

Here is what you should expect to pay if you overstay:

  • 1 to 10 days - NT$1,000
  • 11 to 30 days - NT$3,000
  • 31 to 90 days - NT$5,000
  • 91 days or more - NT$10,000

Make sure you book your hotel in Taipei
before you land in Taiwan!