: Study Mandarin Chinese in Taiwan
Study Mandarin Chinese
Taiwan is the best place in the world to learn Mandarin Chinese!
Not everyone comes to Taiwan to travel or become an English teacher. People are starting to realize that Taiwan is one of the best places in the world to study Mandarin Chinese.
When I first came to Taiwan back in 2000, I simply had no desire to learn Mandarin Chinese. I though I was only going to be in Taiwan for a couple of months. I also thought that:
- Mandarin language classes were too expensive.
- I didn't have enough time to join a Mandarin language program.
- China was a better place to study Mandarin Chinese.
- I needed to have Einstein's IQ to get into a Chinese course.
- I would need to study Chinese for at least 5 years before reaching proficiency level.
- And of course, I though that studying Mandarin Chinese was the hardest thing in the world!
Understand more about Mandarin Chinese!
Check out these 10 interesting facts!
Studying Mandarin Chinese is EASY!
It turned out that I was wrong... I never left Taiwan. Formosa has been my home for ten years already! Over the years, I've enrolled in many Mandarin courses at different Chinese schools in Taiwan. Eventually, I figured out that studying Mandarin Chinese wasn't difficult at all (ok, maybe a bit...) I also came to realize that:
- It's quite cheap to attend Mandarin language classes in Taiwan.
- You don't need an enormous amount of free time to join a Chinese language program.
- Taiwan is the best place in the world to learn Mandarin Chinese.
- You don't need to have Einstein's IQ to get into a Chinese course.
- You don't have to study for years to become proficient in Mandarin Chinese. It took me only about a year and a half of part-time Chinese study before I could consider myself proficient in Mandarin.
Where's the best place to study
Mandarin Chinese in Taiwan?
Click here to skip to the answer right away!
Find the best place for learning Chinese in Taiwan!
This is only one of the many questions you'll need to ask yourself before enrolling in a Chinese school in Taiwan.
You should also ask yourself the following questions:
- Where do you want to study? Do you want to live in a big city like Taipei, Kaohsiung, or Taichung? Or you'd prefer somewhere quieter like Hualien or Tainan?
- Do you want to study Mandarin Chinese by yourself or in a group?
- How much time can you commit to learn Mandarin Chinese? How many hours a day / week / month do you want to spend studying? Do you want to study Chinese every day?
- What's your budget? How much money are you willing to spend for your Mandarin studies in Taiwan?
- Do you already have a visa for Taiwan? Will you need your Chinese school to help you apply for a Taiwanese student visa?
- What do you want to study? Are you mostly interested in learning conversational Mandarin Chinese? Do you also want to learn how to write Chinese characters?
I would say the most important question is the first one: Where do you want to live? If you end up enrolling in a Chinese program in Taipei simply because it's cheap, but you're not a city person in the first place... I doubt you will enjoy studying Chinese in Taiwan. First, find a place you think would suit you, then consider the other questions.
Read more about Mandarin Chinese:
11 Reasons Why You Should Study Chinese!
Boost your brainpower! Travel to exotic places in China! Discover new foods! Do business with Chines people... Find out why so many people study Mandarin and why you too should start today!
What's Difficult About Learning Chinese Language?
I know I just said learning Chinese was easy... But there are still some parts that are challenging and frustrating. Read on to see what's tough about learning this this beautiful language.
Origin of the Chinese Language
Linguists can trace Chinese back 4,000 years! The Chinese language is as old - if not older - as China itself! Understand how old Chinese evolved from symbols on oracle bones to modern Mandarin and Cantonese.
Don't Study Chinese!
Thinking about enrolling into a Chinese course? Think twice! See what one of our contributors think about studying Chinese. Megan thinks it's not for everyone!
Read Mandarin Language the Easy Way! Learn Pinyin!
Pinyin, as it is also known in English, is the ultimate tool when you begin to study Mandarin language. Essentially, Pinyin is a system of writing down Chinese using Roman (English-type) letters.
Mandarin Language Classes - What Should You Expect?
Enrolling in a Mandarin language class for the first time can be a daunting task. Questions swirl through your mind, such as, "Will I be good at learning Chinese?" and "What if I make a fool of myself in front of my classmates?"
Choosing the Right Mandarin Language Program
Ask yourself some questions and find the Mandarin language program that's right for you! Why do you want to study Chinese? How much time can you dedicate to your Mandarin language course?
Return from Study Mandarin Chinese in Taiwan
to Taiwanese-Secrets Homepage.